With such a large array of online stores to purchase your cage from, we thought that we should do more than just sell cages. We want you to be extra pleased with the cage you purchased and to do so we want to offer some help in picking the right cage for your needs and most importantly, your birds.
Consider items such as; Construction Materials, Bar Spacing, Ease of Cleaning, Features, and Cost. We explain these in more detail a little lower.
We carry a large variety of cages, from small bird cages to ultra-large cages, from stacking breeder cages to large aviaries and everything in between. So when it comes to cages and getting the right cage for your bird, we have just about anything you need.
Choosing a cage is never a simple task, you need to consider a few things before you randomly buy a cage.
- Safe materials - Are safe, non-toxic materials used in the construction of my bird cage? This is one of the most important questions that you can ask. Chances are, you spent a good amount of money to purchase your bird and therefore you do not want an inferior cage that is made with Zinc or Lead. These materials decrease the life of your bird and can cause many types of illnesses and sometimes death. They can be a health hazard to you and your feathered friends.
- Our cages are constructed with Wrought Iron or Steel bars (depending on the brand) and are tested and reported safe to birds, other animals and humans alike. Even the powder-coated cages are non-toxic and bird-friendly making them safe for habitation and usage.
- Bar Spacing -Why is bar spacing so important? Purchasing the wrong cage for your bird can be a bad thing. Birds that live in cages with to large of bar spacing often find themselves getting stuck. Birds that get stuck in between the bars will not sit there and wait for help, they panic, flail, pull and yank. This behavior is extremely dangerous to you birds. Many birds have perished as a result of a poorly fit cage. We have compiled a list of our cages with specific species of birds so you know what cage to get for what bird. Also, you don't want your birds to squeeze through the bars and play freely with everything in your house.
- We strongly recommend that you verify that the cage you want is good for your bird. Cages that have to large of spacing can make it easy for your bird to escape or worse, inflict injury and even death.
- Small Conures similar sized birds
- Ring Necks
- Mini Macaws
- Small Cockatoos
- similar sized birds
- African Greys
- Alexandrine Parakeets
- similar sized birds
- Cleaning - Is this cage easy to clean? Simply stated, a clean cage is a healthy bird. Yes, we recommend that you clean the cage frequently. Cages that have a small opening and non-removable parts are some of the hardest cages to clean. Cage cleanliness is essential to the overall health of you and your bird. Cages that are left dirty promote bacteria and germ spread leading to illness and disease. Do yourself and your bird a favor and get a cage that is easy to take care of, you will be glad you did.
- Features - What makes this cage better than that cage? Some cages are made for the sole purpose of showing off your bird such as Dome-top cages, while others are made to help entertain your bird such as Play-top cages. Studies have shown that a bird that is stimulated and encouraged to climb, explore and play live longer. Look closely for features like; toy hooks, vertical and horizontal bars, perches and even the feeding bowls. Choose a cage that your bird will enjoy. Even you try to feel comfortable in your home, shouldn't your bird be comfortable too?
- Surrounding Area - Is this cage going to be placed in a corner or is it the main piece of furniture in the room? Much like you and I, birds need space. Heaven forbid that YOU have to live in a cubicle! Choosing a cage should be much like picking a piece of furniture. Allow enough space around the cage that your bird doesn't feel shut in. A good general rule of thumb is to get the largest possible cage for your species of bird. ***NOTE:***A Green-Wing Macaw shouldn't be in a small cage!
- Cost - Does this cage fit in your budget? Some cages are so very expensive that it makes it almost impossible for you to purchase. We try to keep our cages at the lowest possible price, so that purchasing the cage doesn't send you to the poor house, that is why we offer our 110% low price guarantee! We want you to get the right cage at the best price around.
Cage Bar Spacing
1/2" to 5/8"
1/2" to 3/4"
3/4" to 1"
We here at GTmall aren't just about making a sale & sending you away. We are proud of the products we carry and know they are the best on the market; that is why we will gladly explain anything to you so you can make an informed decision, what we don't know we will find out for you. We want you (and your bird) to be ecstatically happy with the cage you choose.